SPJ Minutes March 6, 2012

SPJ minutes
6 March 2012

Present: All board members except those listed below. JT Thomas, MA student, also attended.
Absent: Sasha Schwendenwein (exc), Nigel Chiwaya (exc), Jillian Sederholm (exc), Lindsay Minerva (exc), Travis Irvine (exc), Alex Contratto, Ali Hussain, Ben Hancock, Carl Lewis, Elaisha Stokes, Hunter Smith, Ines Novacic, Janet Upadhye, Jasmeet Sidhu, John-Carlos Estrada, Khadijah Carter, Kristen Brown, Lina Zeldovich, Mark Lungariello, Mollie Bloudoff-Indelicato, Nathan Vickers, Nitya Rajan, Paul Cronin, Phil Stephenson, Purvi Thacker, Raisa Zaidi, Ravi Kumar, Russ Finkelstein, Sabrina Buckwalter, Sean Easter, Sergey Gordeev, Trinna Leong

1. Committee updates:

Academic: We have 132 yearbook photos so far. 21 people have paid 20 dollars each for the yearbook. Yearbook photos week after spring break. We are halfway through the MS students, but almost no MA students. We need 2,600 dollars and only have 400. Can we set up a box in Sree or Melanie’s office, and people can go in and pay? Potentially take photos at the end of career day?
Centennial: As of now, everyone can go to the celebration. You have to sign up, but there’s no limit. We’ve submitted logos to Rebecca. For the April 20th kickoff at 4pm in the lecture hall, three SPJ people will sit up front: Damee, Bianca and Jillian.
Speakers, events: Africa panel — Damee spoke to Anne Cooper. We’ve set invitations and are sending them out this week. Aiming for second week of April. Have also been in touch with Gothamist writer, plus, there’s a Russian journalist who may come talk on April 2. Editor of Intelligent Life mag, will come in April.
Fundraising: Tank tops from American Apparel. Need to pick shirt colors. Options: 4 colors. We can order extra sweaters, but will cost 10 dollars more. Is it possible to get men’s and women’s models for shirts? Silent Sree: First week of April. Money will go to next year’s class.

2. Newswire: Will launch after the holidays. Professors have been really helpful in putting together a selection committee. (Celia: Ask Duy about vetting digital submissions.) Selection committee will pick 10 stories every two weeks. We’re looking for feature stories. Committee will divide up submissions, rank them and meet once every two weeks to discuss the picks. Three students plus faculty (6 to 8 people total). Will get off the ground after the break.

3. MA student JT Thomas attended the meeting and asked whether SPJ would be interested in hosting social dialog events related to Rio + 20 at CUJ. SPJ was interested, but felt the date was too problematic. (Same day as job fair.)

4. Lambert said there will be a regional SPJ meeting in NY. He will forward the information. Also suggested we should connect more with SPJ chapters at other J-Schools in NY. (For example arrange evenings where members can get to know each other.)

5. Need to send a representative to regional conference over the summer. Also, CUJ’s chapter of SPJ didn’t file an annual report last year, which is problematic. We have to do three programs per year that meet national SPJ criteria, so we need to check whether we’ve filled the criteria.

6. Irena Choi Stern is looking for people to give tours to alumni over the weekend. Two volunteers for each day, weekend of April 20th. Email Jake if interested.[/toggle]

[twitter style=”vertical” source=”@columbiaspj” float=”left”] [fblike style=”standard” showfaces=”false” width=”450″ verb=”like” font=”arial”] [google_plusone size=”standard” annotation=”inline” language=”English (UK)”]


SPJ Minutes – February 21, 2012

Present: Board members, except those listed below.
Absent: Raisa Zaidi (excused), Janet Upadhye (excused), Nigel Chiwaya (excused), Sasha Schwendenwein (excused), Trinna Leong (excused), Travis Irvine (excused), Alex Contratto (unexcused), Ali Hussain (unexcused), Annie Claire Bergeron-Oliver (unexcused), Ben Hancock (unexcused), Carl Lewis (unexcused), Elaisha Stokes (unexcused), Hunter Smith (unexcused), Ines Novacic (unexcused), Jasmeet Sidhu (unexcused), John-Carlos Estrada (unexcused), Khadijah Carter (unexcused), Kristen Brown (unexcused), Lambert Mbom (unexcused), Lina Zeldovich (unexcused), Lindsay Minerva (unexcused), Mark Lungariello (unexcused), Nitya Rajan (unexcused), Paul Cronin (unexcused), Phil Stephenson (unexcused), Ravi Kumar (unexcused), Russ Finkelstein (unexcused), Sabrina Buckwalter (unexcused), Sean Easter (unexcused), Sergey Gordeev (unexcused).

1. Sheila Chenza Thimba, the associate dean for administrative affairs, shared results of survey of space at CUJ. Conclusions: CUJ may do unisex bathrooms on every floor. CUJ wants to use 3rd floor more. Also want people to use the library more. May drop Brad’s in two more years when their contract ends, if it doesn’t improve.

2. Updates:
Community service: UN social media training has been postponed. Columbia High School has asked us to teach.
Student Life: Stressbusters is coming on Monday March 5, 2-4pm. Oscar Party on Sunday. We will live stream it in Stabile. We have a red carpet and popcorn, plus $100 from Sree, maybe for pizza.
Molly and Jillian put together a freelance-pitching workshop. Career services also does something like this at the end of the year, so they will talk to career services.
Newswire update: Two professors have signed onto the selection committee. Purvi will also talk to Dody Tsiantar.
Speakers and events: Colin — Society of American Magazine Editors might come in April. Still tracking down other speakers as well. Cassie — There’s an editor at Intelligent Life who might come. Maybe we can do an event with these two speakers together. Africa panel: Still looking for speakers.
Centennial: We’re not having a separate party. There will be one party together with alumni. For centennial, planning to sell shirts, umbrellas, baseball caps and mugs. Designs are set. Profile pictures still underway. Waiting for yearbook photos.
Yearbook: Still trying to raise money and do pre-sale. Need to figure out photos asap. This part is in bold at the request of Damee Ademo:
Adam and Erin agreed to do photos on Mondays from 4:30 to 6:30. Can we put it in Today at the J-School and on the Facebook group? Put it in the SPJ videos, too. Maybe have a table in Stabile to collect money? Celia can sit there during lunch. Baking cupcakes on Sunday at Katz’s place.[/toggle]

[twitter style=”vertical” source=”@columbiaspj” float=”left”] [fblike style=”standard” showfaces=”false” width=”450″ verb=”like” font=”arial”] [google_plusone size=”standard” annotation=”inline” language=”English (UK)”]


Dec. 2nd Minutes (don’t believe everything you read)

December 2, 2011, 5:20 p.m.
In attendance: Jake Heller, Mohammed Ademo, Purvi Thacker, Cassie Harvey, Elaisha Stokes, Lina Zeldovich, Annie Bergeron-Oliver, Andrew Katz, Bianca Consunji, Jasmeet Sindhu, Janet Upadhye, Nigel Chiwaya, Sean Easter, Sasha Schwendenwein, Jillian Sederholm, Russ Finkelstein, Ravi Kumar, Lindsay Minerva, Keldy Ortiz, Lambert Mbom, Travis Irvine, Nathan Vickers

Lucille’s Ball
Lucille’s ball is fast approaching. It’s really important to get everything in order right now.
The photo booth is organized, but we need a logo for the booth. Nigel will draft some designs (some variation of CUJ12 with the crown.) A few people have volunteered for decorations, and Bianca will be in charge of decorations. We still need more volunteers. The budget for decorations is $300-$400.
Raisa and Purvi will have a program ready by Sunday.
There are 9 RW1 classes that have signed up for roasts. They have to be up to 2.5 minutes. We need them by Friday, December 9 and we won’t accept them afterwards. RW1 students need to tell their professors that they’re being roasted.
There will be a tech run through either on Sunday December 12 or Monday, December 13.
Cleanup: We have nothing to do with cleanup except removing the photo booth and the decorations.
Promotion: We can start promoting the event on Monday, December 5. The event is December 13 at 6:30pm.
Guests: Everyone is allowed a plus 1, but make sure they carry their IDs. It’s $10 for guests to attend.
DJ: Russ’s DJ is willing to work for $200, but a P.A. would make it cost a lot more. The issue is that the DJ’s PA and the PA that everyone else needs to use might not be the same. Craig says we can do special things with lights to make it look nice.

Committee Updates
Speakers: Cassie’s been unable to connect with Sree for Spring prep date, but She’s taking ideas for Spring Prep Day speakers. Fareed Zakaria is a popular choice.
Film: Met with Reactive Films to discuss upcoming meetings: A civil rights film (with Harry Belafonte) for Black History Month and a Lucy Walker film (the Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom) for March. Lucy Walker might be willing to sit in for a panel because the film is 45 minutes. We might have to start a Reactive Film chapter. There is a third film, Misrepresentation, which would require a $150 screening fee.
Russ: Coming to America will be playing on Tuesday night in Stabile.
Swag: Sweatshirts will arrive on Tuesday, December 6. Raisa needs help giving them out. Look out for emails. We can give out the sweatshirts at the movie Tuesday night.
Student Life: The hard drive labeling campaign is the only thing left this semester. During winter break there will be a trip to the Anderson Cooper show on January 11 from 9:00 a.m.-12:00 a.m. for a group of up to 50 people. There will also be at least two museum tours. Look for one event a week during the winter.

We should redesign the J-school press badge; the NYPD doesn’t respect them. We want something bigger, vertical, with bigger photos and that isn’t laminated. Nigel will draft a new design. We should reach out to CUNY and NYU about creating a unified J-school press badge.

Social Media Debate: The debate has been pushed back to Friday, December 16 because there’s no other date available. We’re trying to reach out other people and see if someone can come and cover the event. Someone will create a Storify about the event, and we’ll create a hub for the debate on the SPJ website. The hashtag of the event is #cujsmd. We want to make this a major event in the history of the J-school. The motion of the debate is “The boss can control what you do on social media: yes or no?”
Meeting is adjourned at 6:15[/toggle]

[twitter style=”vertical” source=”@columbiaspj” float=”left”] [fblike style=”standard” showfaces=”false” width=”450″ verb=”like” font=”arial”] [google_plusone size=”standard” annotation=”inline” language=”English (UK)”]