Meeting minutes – October 11, 2013

Updates from committees and board members:

 

Professional Groups Liaisons

Have a list of 100+ orgs. Will break down to top 50ish, looking at which are accessible/have members in NYC.

 

Film/Doc Coordinators

Goals for the year:

–       Collaboration with other groups

–       Student work

–       Getting some film/doc content onto SPJ website.

Events:

–       Hispanic film for Hispanic Heritage month.

–       Rocky Horror Picture Show at the end of October.

  • People can dress up if they want.

–       Plan to hold screenings every other Friday, alternating between film and doc.

–       Oscar and Superbowl parties will obviously be on Sunday

–       Film festival with student films with doc students or working with film school and piggybacking on other film festival

  • Way to fundraise?

 

Events

–       Halloween Party

  • Wknd of 25th or 1st
  • Last year: $10 tickets, some cheap drinks, costume contest, at a venue near 34th and Madison

–       Can’t all pass off events to Kimberly and have her work on everything. She should also lean on her committee.

 

Student Life

–       Backrubs

–       Open mic night – J School comedians, musicians, poetry…

  • Could do before Lucille’s Ball, could sell tickets, could sell food
  • Could do it as a preview to Lucille’s Ball, sell tickets to the Ball there

 

Community service

Ideas for events:

–       Blood drive around Halloween

–       Do a Guinness World Record, 24 hours of community service event playing off everyone’s talents

–       Work with organization that pairs students up with young kids to read to them during lunch hours

–       Teach about journalism at local schools

–       Should also think about getting J School team to tag onto bigger Columbia events (like dance marathon in January or the big community service day in April)

–       Should think about doing community service that doesn’t necessarily require people’s time (like a food drive)

  • Possibly around Christmas: toy drive, practical things, donations, spirited giving

 

Secretary (and Webmasters and Member Affairs)

Website:

–       Really get website up and running in really cool way with blog posts from students and alums

  • Weekly post from student
    • 300-500 words each week blog post – what I learned, what I’m working on, etc
    • Create idea list for students, try to time to certain events
    • 10 rep students – meet 10 jschoolers, profiles
  • Monthly or bi-monthly post from alum
    • Jason was at alum board meeting, seem interested
    • Topic ideas – send out and give deadline and store them up for alums

–       Stav and Marika work together on monthly summaries that will get turned into annual report

–       Collect material for a handbook-type thing about how we did each event, to help next year’s SPJ have an idea and get started on their own events

 

Webmasters

Have login info. Discussing what will be the workflow.

Ideas for website:

–       Linking websites and blogs and Twitter feeds to website?

  • Beatrice gathered Twitter feeds on Facebook group, could link to website

–       Put up work from August bootcamp

  • Or put on bulletin boards downstairs
  • Gallery to show photo work? Or coffeeshop?
  • Could talk to whoever is in charge of official student gallery on third floor (is this Nina Berman?)

–       Website in past years: 24 hours student life, tied to storify, posting every hour

 

Speakers Director

Past events:

–       50-60 came on Thursday

Coming up in the next month:

–       Jason Dundas

  • Australian TV personality, now co-host on vh1
  • Probably in Stabile

Possible speakers:

–       Sarah Fitzpatrick

  • Investigative news at CBS bureau, Columbia grad

Keep in mind that we can also do brown bag lunches for small groups in seminar rooms

 

Swag/treasurer

Sweatshirts:

–       Need to get system up for getting sweatshirts

–       Design needs to be ready October 30

  • As long as have orders before Thanksgiving we’ll have them before holidays
  • Set deadline to submit designs by 3rd week of October
  • Identify design to go with by last week of October

–       For swag – usually tie to PayPal on website, and set up table for cash

–       Incentive for person who submits winning design (maybe free sweatshirt?)

Lucille’s Ball t-shirts?

 

Senator

–       Represents J School to university

–       First official meeting October 25th

 

Member affairs

–       Recruitment

  • Publicize what SPJ national is and what the benefits are
  • Encourage people to sign up
  • Will sit at various SPJ events with info and signup

–       Big awards program in January only for members

 

 

Miscellaneous notes:

–       Alumni weekend

  • Invited back as alum each year, but every 5th year do something really special
  • This year: April 12th

–       Alumni mentorship program – matches are being made!

–       Should we do a yearbook?

  • Takes a lot of time
  • Past classes have done Tumblr
  • YouTube video collage instead?

–       For SPJ Board:

  • Headshots – everyone look pretty next week!

–       Jason’s letter to the wider student body will include an opportunity for students to sign up for committees by giving contact info for committee chairs.

 

 

Share

Meeting Minutes – February 10, 2013

Present: Stuart Sia, Kenny, Colleen, Sana, Tenzin, Bryan, Kim

1. Journey With the Giant: China’s Stunning Rise to Global Stardom. Documentary. Feb. 12. Tuesday 7p.m. James Isaiah Gabbe.
Will announce to International Newsroom, China Seminar.

2. Thanks who attended the accreditation this morning.

3. This semester we make the t-shirts. Opportunity to come up with a slogan for Spring–We’ll be asking CUJ 13 to submit some slogans to represent our class. We need to select a slogan after voting and then start the ordering process.

4. ABA wants to organize Mardi Gras and is requesting SPJ to sponsor the event. It might be in Stabile. No liquor.

5. Adam Golub is going to start the yoga class every Monday in 601 B, 5p.m. to 6 p.m. Starting next Monday. We could create a sign up list and ask Adam about the max. capacity. World room and Lecture rooms are too sacred, so off limits.

6. Opportunities mentioned to Kim: Wine class. Should we promote? $450 for four weeks. No
Cosmopolitan, Lisa Ling. They want to screen the show and watch it in Stabile. No.

7. Quartz. Hosting an event with speakers and some editors. conversation on hiring issues and etc. Should we host? YES.

8. Storify Founder Mark Little coming. Need to choose between Friday afternoon or the following Monday.

9. Steve McCurry. Photographer for the National Geographic, shot the famous “Afghan girl” portrait with the piercing blue eyes. Friday. March 29th.

10. Whenever we organize SPJ events, we’ll need photographers. And, also need to keep the website updated with content.

11. SPJ Centennial dinners are happening. First one is February 28th at Rebecca’s place. Also looking at the last week of March and the first couple of weeks in April. 40-45 students will be able to participate. List will be up soon, and everyone gets to attend once.

12. Need to have more student activities. Student Life committee? Games, sports, races, board games in Stabile. More journalism documentary/ film screenings. Volleyball in Central Park. Massage nights.Dance class?

13. TUESDAY Evenings for SPJ meetings? Sunday is not working (obviously).

14. Oscars party in Stabile. Feb. 24th. Day before the Masters project deadline.

15. Sanjana wants to organize an “ALL WHITE” graduation brunch.

16. May 21st is Journalism day. 22nd is the big graduation.

Share

Meeting Minutes – January 27, 2013

Present: Sana Beg, Kimberly Brooks, Mansi Choski, Sanjana Chowhan, Keith Collins, Keira Lu Huang, Bryan Koenig, Dhiya Kuriakose, Colleen McKown, Jason Myles, Stuart Sia, David Winograd.

Absent: Mohamed Al-Shaaban, Yvonne Bang (excused), Harman Bopari (excused), Nastasia Boulos, Kelly Boyce, Shadi Bushra, Khadijah Carter, Magdalene Castro, Matthew Claiborne, Tom Corrigan, Turner Cowles, Pierce Crosby, Karina Cuevas, Jay Devineni, John-Carlos Estrada, Sandra Garcia, Lorelai Germain, Krystal Grow, Mustafa Hameed, Luke Hammill, Gayatri Kaul, Sammea Kamal, Karuna Kumar, Cherlynn Low (excused), Mark Lungariello, Bethan McKernan, Elizabeth Murray, Nicholas Niarchos, MaryAlice Parks, Kimberly Reyes, Edric Robinson, Kendall Rodriguez, Isheta Salgaocar, Um-e Kulsoom Shariff, Tenzin Shakya, Philip Stephenson, Kenny Suleimanagich, Tanay Warerkar, Annaliese Wiederspahn.

1. Meetings this semester will be held, in general, every other Sunday. As needed, Kim will also hold individual meetings with people working on certain projects.

2. Speakers—We already have some big names who have agreed to speak to us this semester—Sanjay Gupta, Anderson Cooper, Steve McCurry, Bill Keller, Mark Little (CEO of Storyful). We will also try to get more speakers who aren’t necessarily high-profile names, but people just a few steps ahead of us in the career process who can give us insight on our next steps. We should also consider bringing our student mentors here if they are willing, and reps from Career Fair companies we’re interested in. Other ideas—panel of fashion journalists, tech-specific talks. Let Sana know if you have ideas.

3. Yearbook—Dhiya and Cherlynn have designed the layout and are now waiting on the samples. Over half the student body has gotten their yearbook photos. More photo sessions will be announced soon. We’ll ideally start selling copies by mid-April.

4. Centennial—Stuart and the centennial committee are working on their goal of interviewing everyone in our class as well as alumni. The focus will be on celebrating the J-school experience. Interviews will go on Centennial website. Planning for Centennial Dinners is underway—there will be 4, and each will bring together 6-8 students along with alumni and faculty. We’re asking alumni to host at their homes. Signup for students will be first come-first served. Centennial committee will need more help as the semester goes on, especially with the interviews (interviews are both video and written).

5. Newswire-Mike Hoyt’s editing class has offered to edit the stories. Got a poor response from the readers last time, but will continue trying this semester. Keith will set a new due date for the next batch of stories. Could potentially work with Columbia News Service.

6. Student Life—Adam Golub has agreed to offer yoga classes twice a week. We’ll charge $3-$5 and he’ll get to keep the money. Good room could be the 801 lab.

7. Events—Sanjana is planning a back-to-school party for next Saturday, Feb. 2. We’ll also have a Super Bowl viewing party next Sunday, Feb. 3 in Stabile with snacks and pizza. Other ideas—Happy Hours each week, graduation party the last weekend of school.

8. Community Service—Joy of Giving Week had a poor response last semester—participants were mainly Mansi and her committee. Big fundraisers could work better-inter-concentration basketball tournament, 5K. April 6 is Columbia Community Outreach day, and we could create a J-school team.

9. Website—David is trying to get more content up on the site and is looking for a team of bloggers. Content should relate to J-school student life. He’ll get the new design up within the next week.

10. We’ll lose our status as a Student SPJ chapter if we don’t get 4-5 members of the exec board (Kim, Harman, and anyone else who holds a position) to join. Student price is $42.50. If we join now we’ll get the student price for the next 2 years. Membership comes with a number of networking benefits, access to exclusive job postings, etc.

11. We’ll have another town hall meeting this semester with Deans Lemann, Grueskin and Sotomayor.

Share