Meeting minutes – October 11, 2013

Updates from committees and board members:

 

Professional Groups Liaisons

Have a list of 100+ orgs. Will break down to top 50ish, looking at which are accessible/have members in NYC.

 

Film/Doc Coordinators

Goals for the year:

–       Collaboration with other groups

–       Student work

–       Getting some film/doc content onto SPJ website.

Events:

–       Hispanic film for Hispanic Heritage month.

–       Rocky Horror Picture Show at the end of October.

  • People can dress up if they want.

–       Plan to hold screenings every other Friday, alternating between film and doc.

–       Oscar and Superbowl parties will obviously be on Sunday

–       Film festival with student films with doc students or working with film school and piggybacking on other film festival

  • Way to fundraise?

 

Events

–       Halloween Party

  • Wknd of 25th or 1st
  • Last year: $10 tickets, some cheap drinks, costume contest, at a venue near 34th and Madison

–       Can’t all pass off events to Kimberly and have her work on everything. She should also lean on her committee.

 

Student Life

–       Backrubs

–       Open mic night – J School comedians, musicians, poetry…

  • Could do before Lucille’s Ball, could sell tickets, could sell food
  • Could do it as a preview to Lucille’s Ball, sell tickets to the Ball there

 

Community service

Ideas for events:

–       Blood drive around Halloween

–       Do a Guinness World Record, 24 hours of community service event playing off everyone’s talents

–       Work with organization that pairs students up with young kids to read to them during lunch hours

–       Teach about journalism at local schools

–       Should also think about getting J School team to tag onto bigger Columbia events (like dance marathon in January or the big community service day in April)

–       Should think about doing community service that doesn’t necessarily require people’s time (like a food drive)

  • Possibly around Christmas: toy drive, practical things, donations, spirited giving

 

Secretary (and Webmasters and Member Affairs)

Website:

–       Really get website up and running in really cool way with blog posts from students and alums

  • Weekly post from student
    • 300-500 words each week blog post – what I learned, what I’m working on, etc
    • Create idea list for students, try to time to certain events
    • 10 rep students – meet 10 jschoolers, profiles
  • Monthly or bi-monthly post from alum
    • Jason was at alum board meeting, seem interested
    • Topic ideas – send out and give deadline and store them up for alums

–       Stav and Marika work together on monthly summaries that will get turned into annual report

–       Collect material for a handbook-type thing about how we did each event, to help next year’s SPJ have an idea and get started on their own events

 

Webmasters

Have login info. Discussing what will be the workflow.

Ideas for website:

–       Linking websites and blogs and Twitter feeds to website?

  • Beatrice gathered Twitter feeds on Facebook group, could link to website

–       Put up work from August bootcamp

  • Or put on bulletin boards downstairs
  • Gallery to show photo work? Or coffeeshop?
  • Could talk to whoever is in charge of official student gallery on third floor (is this Nina Berman?)

–       Website in past years: 24 hours student life, tied to storify, posting every hour

 

Speakers Director

Past events:

–       50-60 came on Thursday

Coming up in the next month:

–       Jason Dundas

  • Australian TV personality, now co-host on vh1
  • Probably in Stabile

Possible speakers:

–       Sarah Fitzpatrick

  • Investigative news at CBS bureau, Columbia grad

Keep in mind that we can also do brown bag lunches for small groups in seminar rooms

 

Swag/treasurer

Sweatshirts:

–       Need to get system up for getting sweatshirts

–       Design needs to be ready October 30

  • As long as have orders before Thanksgiving we’ll have them before holidays
  • Set deadline to submit designs by 3rd week of October
  • Identify design to go with by last week of October

–       For swag – usually tie to PayPal on website, and set up table for cash

–       Incentive for person who submits winning design (maybe free sweatshirt?)

Lucille’s Ball t-shirts?

 

Senator

–       Represents J School to university

–       First official meeting October 25th

 

Member affairs

–       Recruitment

  • Publicize what SPJ national is and what the benefits are
  • Encourage people to sign up
  • Will sit at various SPJ events with info and signup

–       Big awards program in January only for members

 

 

Miscellaneous notes:

–       Alumni weekend

  • Invited back as alum each year, but every 5th year do something really special
  • This year: April 12th

–       Alumni mentorship program – matches are being made!

–       Should we do a yearbook?

  • Takes a lot of time
  • Past classes have done Tumblr
  • YouTube video collage instead?

–       For SPJ Board:

  • Headshots – everyone look pretty next week!

–       Jason’s letter to the wider student body will include an opportunity for students to sign up for committees by giving contact info for committee chairs.

 

 

Share

SPJ Minutes March 6, 2012

SPJ minutes
6 March 2012

Present: All board members except those listed below. JT Thomas, MA student, also attended.
Absent: Sasha Schwendenwein (exc), Nigel Chiwaya (exc), Jillian Sederholm (exc), Lindsay Minerva (exc), Travis Irvine (exc), Alex Contratto, Ali Hussain, Ben Hancock, Carl Lewis, Elaisha Stokes, Hunter Smith, Ines Novacic, Janet Upadhye, Jasmeet Sidhu, John-Carlos Estrada, Khadijah Carter, Kristen Brown, Lina Zeldovich, Mark Lungariello, Mollie Bloudoff-Indelicato, Nathan Vickers, Nitya Rajan, Paul Cronin, Phil Stephenson, Purvi Thacker, Raisa Zaidi, Ravi Kumar, Russ Finkelstein, Sabrina Buckwalter, Sean Easter, Sergey Gordeev, Trinna Leong

1. Committee updates:

Academic: We have 132 yearbook photos so far. 21 people have paid 20 dollars each for the yearbook. Yearbook photos week after spring break. We are halfway through the MS students, but almost no MA students. We need 2,600 dollars and only have 400. Can we set up a box in Sree or Melanie’s office, and people can go in and pay? Potentially take photos at the end of career day?
Centennial: As of now, everyone can go to the celebration. You have to sign up, but there’s no limit. We’ve submitted logos to Rebecca. For the April 20th kickoff at 4pm in the lecture hall, three SPJ people will sit up front: Damee, Bianca and Jillian.
Speakers, events: Africa panel — Damee spoke to Anne Cooper. We’ve set invitations and are sending them out this week. Aiming for second week of April. Have also been in touch with Gothamist writer, plus, there’s a Russian journalist who may come talk on April 2. Editor of Intelligent Life mag, will come in April.
Fundraising: Tank tops from American Apparel. Need to pick shirt colors. Options: 4 colors. We can order extra sweaters, but will cost 10 dollars more. Is it possible to get men’s and women’s models for shirts? Silent Sree: First week of April. Money will go to next year’s class.

2. Newswire: Will launch after the holidays. Professors have been really helpful in putting together a selection committee. (Celia: Ask Duy about vetting digital submissions.) Selection committee will pick 10 stories every two weeks. We’re looking for feature stories. Committee will divide up submissions, rank them and meet once every two weeks to discuss the picks. Three students plus faculty (6 to 8 people total). Will get off the ground after the break.

3. MA student JT Thomas attended the meeting and asked whether SPJ would be interested in hosting social dialog events related to Rio + 20 at CUJ. SPJ was interested, but felt the date was too problematic. (Same day as job fair.)

4. Lambert said there will be a regional SPJ meeting in NY. He will forward the information. Also suggested we should connect more with SPJ chapters at other J-Schools in NY. (For example arrange evenings where members can get to know each other.)

5. Need to send a representative to regional conference over the summer. Also, CUJ’s chapter of SPJ didn’t file an annual report last year, which is problematic. We have to do three programs per year that meet national SPJ criteria, so we need to check whether we’ve filled the criteria.

6. Irena Choi Stern is looking for people to give tours to alumni over the weekend. Two volunteers for each day, weekend of April 20th. Email Jake if interested.[/toggle]

[twitter style=”vertical” source=”@columbiaspj” float=”left”] [fblike style=”standard” showfaces=”false” width=”450″ verb=”like” font=”arial”] [google_plusone size=”standard” annotation=”inline” language=”English (UK)”]

Share

SPJ Minutes – February 21, 2012

Present: Board members, except those listed below.
Absent: Raisa Zaidi (excused), Janet Upadhye (excused), Nigel Chiwaya (excused), Sasha Schwendenwein (excused), Trinna Leong (excused), Travis Irvine (excused), Alex Contratto (unexcused), Ali Hussain (unexcused), Annie Claire Bergeron-Oliver (unexcused), Ben Hancock (unexcused), Carl Lewis (unexcused), Elaisha Stokes (unexcused), Hunter Smith (unexcused), Ines Novacic (unexcused), Jasmeet Sidhu (unexcused), John-Carlos Estrada (unexcused), Khadijah Carter (unexcused), Kristen Brown (unexcused), Lambert Mbom (unexcused), Lina Zeldovich (unexcused), Lindsay Minerva (unexcused), Mark Lungariello (unexcused), Nitya Rajan (unexcused), Paul Cronin (unexcused), Phil Stephenson (unexcused), Ravi Kumar (unexcused), Russ Finkelstein (unexcused), Sabrina Buckwalter (unexcused), Sean Easter (unexcused), Sergey Gordeev (unexcused).

1. Sheila Chenza Thimba, the associate dean for administrative affairs, shared results of survey of space at CUJ. Conclusions: CUJ may do unisex bathrooms on every floor. CUJ wants to use 3rd floor more. Also want people to use the library more. May drop Brad’s in two more years when their contract ends, if it doesn’t improve.

2. Updates:
Community service: UN social media training has been postponed. Columbia High School has asked us to teach.
Student Life: Stressbusters is coming on Monday March 5, 2-4pm. Oscar Party on Sunday. We will live stream it in Stabile. We have a red carpet and popcorn, plus $100 from Sree, maybe for pizza.
Molly and Jillian put together a freelance-pitching workshop. Career services also does something like this at the end of the year, so they will talk to career services.
Newswire update: Two professors have signed onto the selection committee. Purvi will also talk to Dody Tsiantar.
Speakers and events: Colin — Society of American Magazine Editors might come in April. Still tracking down other speakers as well. Cassie — There’s an editor at Intelligent Life who might come. Maybe we can do an event with these two speakers together. Africa panel: Still looking for speakers.
Centennial: We’re not having a separate party. There will be one party together with alumni. For centennial, planning to sell shirts, umbrellas, baseball caps and mugs. Designs are set. Profile pictures still underway. Waiting for yearbook photos.
Yearbook: Still trying to raise money and do pre-sale. Need to figure out photos asap. This part is in bold at the request of Damee Ademo:
Adam and Erin agreed to do photos on Mondays from 4:30 to 6:30. Can we put it in Today at the J-School and on the Facebook group? Put it in the SPJ videos, too. Maybe have a table in Stabile to collect money? Celia can sit there during lunch. Baking cupcakes on Sunday at Katz’s place.[/toggle]

[twitter style=”vertical” source=”@columbiaspj” float=”left”] [fblike style=”standard” showfaces=”false” width=”450″ verb=”like” font=”arial”] [google_plusone size=”standard” annotation=”inline” language=”English (UK)”]

Share