Meeting Notes – October 17, 2014

SPJ Meeting

Facilitator: Justin Morton

Note-taker: Eryn Mathewson

Present: Lauren Harris, Renee Wunderlich, Eryn Mathewson, Samantha Miles, Theresa Avila, Arielle Dreher, Gregoire Molle, Valerie Edwards, Marcus Howard, Tyler Daniels, Anne Most, Kevin Townsend, Chad Shank, Malena Carollo, Emily Teh, Shloka Kini, Sahiba Chawdhary, Justin Morton

 

AGENDA:
I. Committee Chairs’ Progress Report/Need of Assistance

  1. Vice President’s Announcements (Sahiba)

III. Library Announcements (Lucia Hoffman)

  1. REMINDER: Columbia Giving Day Announcement (Event is on Oct. 29)
  2. Open Discussion/Q&A

Action Items:

Next Meeting: Friday Oct. 24 , 4p-5p

Submit bios to Anne Most (amm2437@columbia.edu) by Sunday night (10/19). If you need help with a photo – ask Rebecca Castillo to take your picture

If you will be absent or are running late to an SPJ meeting, please contact Justin (917) 405-3429 / jam2371@columbia.edu

Eryn will be out Friday, Oct 24. Will someone take notes plese?

 

  1. COMMITTEE UPDATES

 

Community Service

  • Saturday, 10/18 event cancelled. Did not receive enough responses
  • Will coordinate two community service events in November

Events

  • Proposal to have Halloween fundraiser at Solas – bar/lounge. 232 E 9th St #1, New York, NY 10003
  • Solas is enthusiastic about us, will give us our own room, offer us a bartender. Average price for drinks is $7-$8. Hopefully we will be able to negotiate this price down to $5/6, and make at least a $6 profit per person.
  • How will this compare to last year’s event? Their ticket price was $20 – received a 2-drink voucher, $6/drink/person, $8 profit. 150 + people attended
  • Questions – will there be a dj? What should our proposal include? Can we lower the price of drinks per person?
  • Overall consensus – try to avoid a cover charge and negotiate a certain percentage off the bar tab. (i.e we promote a party, so we get a cut of the bar tab. then we wouldn’t have to charge cover.)
  • Event Date/time proposal – Nov. 1 @10p
  • Theresa will get answers to questions, update board, and then get announcements out about the event asap

Speakers

  • Ideally, we don’t pay for speakers
  • Some speakers ask for us to pay for transportation and lodging costs
  • We could consider a case-by-case basis, but since we don’t pay for other speakers who come to the J School, let’s not start now.
  • Recommendation: continue outreaching to students about speakers they want to hear from
  • Tell students to email Kevin Townsend (kst2123@columbia.edu) if you know students who have ideas for speakers

Website

  • Will include a sweatshirt order form
  • “Suggestions” field will dumps into an email, and will not post directly onto a site
  • Melanie Huff requested we have a student photo page where students can submit photos from various J School related events
  • Is it necessary to have a visual for students to reference in suggestion box?
  • Should we send an email out to everyone when we solve problems?
  • There will be an “on going projects” tab —> which lists progress made on solving problem and corresponding chair in case students want more details or further action
  • Please send your bio no later than this weekend to Ann – amm2437@columbia.edu)
  • Shout out to Shloka – who is working hard to beautify the website

Outreach to professional journalists and other students

  • Deadline club – working professional version of SPJ. Open to meeting with students and hold panel discussions with established journalists
  • They want to do an event called the “Spring Slice and Dice” resume workshop. Deadline members give tips/edit resumes of students. There will be pizza served. Colin DeVries will host.
  • Also suggested a monthly mixer with other journalism schools in NYC (CUNY and NYU)
  • Are we interested in having mixers with other schools on campus? Law School students get together at a mixer called the “Bar Review”

Sweatshirts

  • Tyler presented a design – submitted by a non board member
  • Design approved

MA Students

  • No new updates
  • Some students concerned about sweatshirts

Part Time Students

  • 2nd year part timers have mail slots in the basement
  • We need refresher courses. workshops on how to use gear – video, audio, still photo
  1. VICE PRESIDENT ANNOUNCEMENT – Email to Dean of Student Affairs

Various issues that will be included in the email:

  • Lack of staplers, photo skills class, putting up boards outside classrooms, updates to data analysis program, student computer ratio
  • Standardization across the reporting classes?
  • Bombardment with reminder emails about events and to submit evaluations
  • First time part time students feel like an after thought – not enough programming available for students who work full time
  • If you have any other issues, feel free to email them to Sahiba (sc3743@columbia.edu )

III. LIBRARY ANNOUNCEMENT (Lucia Hoffman)

  • How can Butler Library reach students better?

– If anyone has questions about library events and services, please contact Communications Coordinator is Allison Morrow, amorrow@columbia.edu.

 

 

Share

Meeting Notes – October 10, 2014

SPJ Meeting

October 10, 2014

Facilitator: Justin Morton

Note-taker: Eryn Mathewson

Present: Eryn Mathewson, Rutaij Devoshrayee, Malena Carollo, Darcy Cutler, Kevin Townsend, Arielle Dreher, Marianella Orlando, Theresa Avila, Alistair Gardiner, Daniela Porat, Valerie Edwards, Justin Morton, Jack Crosbie, Tyler Daniels, Gregoire Molle, Ben Taub, Sahiba Chawdhary

AGENDA:
I. Vote on Board Meeting change to Tuesdays

  1. Committee Chair Progress Reports

III. Vice President’s Announcements

  1. Columbia Giving Day Announcement (10/29)
  2. Bios/Photos Reminder
  3. Open Discussion/Q&A

Action Items:

Next Meeting: Friday Oct. 17, 4p-5p

Submit bios to Anne Most (amm2437@columbia.edu) by Sunday night (10/5). Rebecca can take your photo if you need it

Submit t-shirt and sweatshirt designs. See email with subject “SPJ: Submit a J School sweatshirt design” for instructions

If you will be absent or are running late to an SPJ meeting, please contact Justin (917) 405-3429 / jam2371@columbia.edu

 

  1. Tuesday Meeting Vote

Looks like Fridays are busy and some members have class on Tuesday evenings. Justin will send out a Doodle to find out a better meeting time

  1. Committee Chair Progress Report

Community Service Committee

Community service project ideas

  1. Read Ahead – read to kids at a school
  2. NYC Cares – revitalizing public schools. We can volunteer at an event as soon as Sat Oct. 18th. Time TBD. In order to volunteer, everyone must go through an orientation. Committee chair will reach out to see who is interested/available
  3. Pick a Borough-of-the-Month to service each month
  4. Domestic Violence month
  5. J School students mentoring high school students interested in journalism in NYC. **If we work with students, let’s commit to being their consistently or not at all

Film Committee

  • Screening “Weekend” for National Coming Out Day – TOMORROW. Film starts at 7:30p, Sat Oct 11, Stabile Center. About two guys who fall in love
  • Screening Kill the Messenger – Monday Oct 12, RSVP via email, Lecture Hall on 3rd Floor
  • Screening “Night Crawler” – Oct. 30th
  • Committee still working to contact film makers

Events Committee

  • Halloween Party. Will be off campus.
  • Good SPJ fundraiser.
  • Sat, Nov 1 – because we will get better deals from bars and won’t conflict with parties already happening on Friday, Oct. 31
  • We are seeking venues that are: wheel chair accessible, able to accommodate 150 + people, must be available on Nov 1, must be willing to negotiate a discount or promotion
  • Let Theresa know if you have suggestions for venues – ta2425@columbia.edu

Speakers Committee

  • Reaching out to Women in Media, NABJ (National Assoc of Black Journalists), NLGJA (National Lesbian, Gay Journalist Assoc), NHJ (National Assoc of Hispanic Journalists) to coordinate together and not book same people
  • Confirming speakers is going well.  There are separate categories of speakers
  • Entertainment and Arts – need stronger suggestions

Brainstorm

  • NHJ – wants to host an immigration focused event – talking with alums who have gotten working visas. NHJ wants to work with SPJ
  • Employment – everyone wants them; how can we get them in the US and abroad. Justin Morton is working on creating events around this issue

Web Committee

  • Making website more attractive and interactive
  • Send suggestions for things you would like to see on the website to Malena – mc3931@columbia.edu
  • Where/how can people vent on the website (ie Campus Grumble)? Could people just email the SPJ account? Is a live feed of grumbles what we want/want to be associated with? Fill out a concerns page
  • SPJ website appears unusable on mobile devices

Sweatshirts

  • We got one proposed design
  • Sweatshirt will be Navy blue
  • Leaning towards crew neck style
  • If you have ideas, submit them to Tyler – trd2118@columbia.edu

 

  • VP Announcements

Dean of Student Affairs Meeting

  • 31 , 4-5p, Venue TBD
  • If you raise a concern, please make sure you are there
  • Video skills in the bootcamp; computer : student ratio (are computers being used for work or phone); staplers
  • Email any other issues to Sahiba – sc3743@columbia.edu

 

  1. Columbia Giving Day
  • Time TBD, Oct. 29, Pulitzer Hall lobby
  • Students are being asked to write thank you letters to donors
  • Feel free to donate as well
  • If you have more questions, contact Justin

 

Share

Meeting Notes – October 3, 2014

SPJ Meeting

October 3, 2014

Facilitator: Justin/Rebecca

Note-taker: Eryn Mathewson

Present: Tyler Daniels, Justin Mortan, Sahiba Chawdhary, Jen Moon, Kevin Townsend, Vallari Gupte, Alistair Gardiner, Daniela Porat, Christine Chung, Hezi Jiang, Marcus Howard, Meridith McGraw, M. Chad Shank, Eryn Mathewson, Darcy Culter, Anne Most, George Stepto, Kay Nguyen, Samantha Miles, Renee Wunderlich, Lauren Hard, Marianella Orlando, Lucianete Hoffman, Gregoire Molle

Summary:
I. New Business

  1. Committees

III. Odds & Ends

  1. Alumni Relations
  2. Events

Action Items:

Next Meeting: Friday Oct. 10, 4-5p

Submit bios to Anne Most (amm2437@columbia.edu) by Sunday night (10/5). Rebecca can take your photo if you need it

Submit t-shirt and sweatshirt designs. See email with subject “SPJ: Submit a J School sweatshirt design” for instructions

Program Representatives – introduce yourselves to the student body

If you are running late to an SPJ meeting, contact Justin (917) 405-3429 / jam2371@columbia.edu

New Business

  • **New Position** Alumni-Student Relations Officer. This person is responsible for meeting with Alumni Director – Jane Lowry. Chad Shank was elected – Congrats!
  • **New PhD Rep – Joscelyn Jurich
  • SPJ Meetings will take place in circle formation

 

 

Committees

  • Committee meetings should be no longer than 30 min. Typically meet at lunch hour in the Stabile Center or Brad’s. If you want to meet it in a classroom – tell Rebecca, she will reserve a room.
  • Sign up for no more than 3 committees
  • If you are a committee chair, you can only sign up for one other committee
  • Feel free to send email with Committee ideas to Justin (jam2371@columbia.edu) – ie what you want to do for committees
  • Columbia Library Committee has two meeting – in fall and spring
  • Film/Documentary Committee will be organizing:
  1. Screenings and guest speakers
  2. National Coming Out Day/Weekend
  3. Working with Frontline/Betsy West for screening
  4. Emailing director of “Act of Killing”
  5. MOMA archive screenings – October to January exhibit; Columbia students gets free admission

Odds & Ends

  • What is the difference between Event Director and Student Life Chair?
  1. Event Director – is responsibbel for “exuberant festivities” outside the building. (ie parties, music, food/beverage)
  2. Student life Chair – any event that supports taking a break from being a student. (ie get to know NY tours, puppy petting, stress buster massages)
  • Voting should happen at the top of meeting
  • Bring in more environmental journalist speakers
  • If you are running late for an SPJ meeting – contact Justin via text or email – (917) 405-3429 / jam2371@columbia.edu

Alumni Relations

  • Rebecca is on alumni board
  • Alumni like intimate gatherings
  • Network now! Talk to alumni – share stresses are you dealing with; ask for advice on how to address issues
  • Student body representatives – invite alums to come back, see how program has changed. This event can be organized for January or February.

Dean of Student Affairs Meeting –* Friday, October 31, 4p*

Issues to address:

  • computer to student ratio is low – J School needs more computers
  • Law text books are expensive. Please consider initiating a university buy-back book program
  • We need more staplers – talk to people in the mailroom. New staplers are also in the Stabile Center
  • SPJ has done a “Keep the Room Clean” campaign. We’ve gotten the school to put Clorox wipes in classrooms. If we ask school to provide materials, we need to enforce. Academic affairs is responsible for keeping up
  • Put class schedules outside of classrooms
  • International students – have OPT (Occupational Training) visas that last for 12 months after graduation. NYU students get 24 month OPT visas. How can we get 24 month visas for CU students too?
  • Bootcamp reform – can we add a Video week to bootcamp? Or we could it happen before the spring semester starts. Could there be a video skills course?
  • New program being introduced for students who want to specialize in data next year. Aimed at mid-level or career changers – similar to MA program. Some students are upset about this, and would like more transparency around program additions and changes.
  • Please be cognizant of scheduling all class events during Part Time student classes. All students should be able to attend all class events, like Data Days
  • Master’s Project planning starts really late in the school year. Students get mixed messages from professors; some say relax, some say hurry up

 

Share