HOW DID THE BALL GO?
- Coat check: next time let people know there is a $4 charge next time.
- Let people know when the public will be let in.
WE HAVE THE MERCH IN 🙂
- Thurs 7th and Fri 8th give out stuff.
- Rebecca is sending a message to PayPal first and then others so we don’t get a rush.
- ACTION ITEM: Please sign up to help give stuff out. Sign up will go out via email tomorrow.
- We ordered a few extra sizes just in case.
- If the extras are left over, we can sell them internally to SPJ.
- MAKE SURE EVERYONE SIGNS THAT THEY RECEIVED IT!
SUPER BOWL/OSCAR PARTIES:
- Previously not a big event but want to try to make it big this year.
- Maybe do awards: best dressed?! etc.
- Plan what you want to do for next semester – anticipate a drop in participation.
- Hope to have a master calendar to send out by January so everyone knows when events will be.
- Meet with your committees and plan what you want//need to do on that front?!
NEXT TUES 12 – 5 COLUMBIA DOING A DE-STRESS EVENT IN LIBRARY.
- There will be food and prizes.
- We should advertise it?!
AUGUSTA: Please can someone do a poster for the poster on 17th January (Juliana will do it!)
- The last speaker confirmed.
- Women who wanted to break the Charle Rose story.
- Just confirmed CBJ to release a list of imprisoned journalists.
- Card writing to them set up in the lobby on Thursday and Friday.
- HELP RUNNING IT!?
TUESDAY SAFETY SEMINAR:
- Help get the word out!!
SURVEYS: Talika is sending out a survey soon so keep an eye out for that!
- Re-vamp of August lessons – we like it as content but perhaps not in August?! Longer reporting section perhaps.
- Bring back: Writing and Reporting Module and/or longer reporting time.
- Most of us already know how to use our iPhones and social media so seems natural to us so perhaps just a week on that aspect/component.
- Is multi-media boot camp best placed in August? Or later in the year?
- Divide per-experience perhaps? Classes per experience perhaps?!
- There is a disconnect in the sections and how each class was run and what reporting classes did/skills were being taught etc.
- Time and energy waste?! A lot of stress and frustration came from the boot camp experience.
- IN AUGUST WE WANT TO KNOW HOW TO FIND AND REPORT STORIES – THEN MAYBE MULTI-MEDIA.
- There needs to be more transparency as to what we are supposed to get out of the August section – improvisation is not an option – don’t improvise our education – he needs to have clear aims (e.g. today we are going to learn how to pitch etc.)
- There needs to be more split in the disciplines if you want to take advantage of it.
- WE NEED A TOWN HALL TO GET EVERYONE’S VOICES OUT THERE. TALK TO PEOPLE WHO PREVIOUSLY WERE ON THE COURSE ABOUT THEIR EXPERIENCES.
If you took away the name of Columbia would you still value the experience?
How can we get everyone having a beneficial experience?
Perhaps for reporting there are classes everyone has to have e.g., fact-checking, finding docs, etc.
DO A STUDENT MEETING – bring your ideas?!